Monday, January 16, 2012

Review : Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves



Title : Slice of Cherry
Author : Dia Reeves
Published : January 2011 by Simon Pulse 
Kit and Fancy Cordelle are sisters of the best kind: best friends, best confidantes, and best accomplices. The daughters of the infamous Bonesaw Killer, Kit and Fancy are used to feeling like outsiders, and that’s just the way they like it. But in Portero, where the weird and wild run rampant, the Cordelle sisters are hardly the oddest or most dangerous creatures around.
It’s no surprise when Kit and Fancy start to give in to their deepest desire—the desire to kill. What starts as a fascination with slicing open and stitching up quickly spirals into a gratifying murder spree. Of course, the sisters aren’t killing just anyone, only the people who truly deserve it. But the girls have learned from the mistakes of their father, and know that a shred of evidence could get them caught. So when Fancy stumbles upon a mysterious and invisible doorway to another world, she opens a door to endless possibilities…. -goodreads


I just found out today after I finished this book, that it's actually the second book of Portero series. But when I read the review of the first book Bleeding Violet, I found that there's no connection between the books. They have different main character but only the setting is the same, which is located in a town called Portero. Slice of Cherry can be read individually without Bleeding Violet.

When I read the review of this book, I really attracted to it. It's about sisters, Kit and Fancy, daughters of Bonesaw Killer who is in a death row. Entire Portero know what their dad did and who they are. Both of them are not a social kind of people. They don't like to communicate with outside world, therefore they're stick to each other, always do things together. Like father, like daughters, Kit and Fancy both enjoy killing people. Kit, the older sister, loves it when she can feel blood in her hands and the blood small. While Fancy don't really like blood that much. She prefers a clean killing.

Their ancestor have special abilities and so they are too. Fancy can see a place, she named it Happy Place, through a kinetoscope. Later on she find a key to open a door to that place. They are enjoying killing but they don't want to get caught, so they begin to do their killing in Happy Place. Everything starts to change when they meet the Turner brothers. At first, Kit falls in love with Gabriel Turner and later, Fancy falls in love with Ilan Turner. Kit discovered her ability later that her sister. When she step on a body that buried underneath, they'll rise and ask Kit to do a favor. Kit will fulfill their wish and rest them in peace. One day, she raises Mr. Turner, father of the Turner's brothers, and discover a truth behind his murder.

At first I really enjoy this book. I like the way Kit talks and how the sisters are almost sociopaths. How Kit torturing Franken by slicing him it means blood everywhere. This book is different! I am a fan of crime series myself so to be honest, I like how Reeves describes every detail in the sisters killing. What I don't like is the setting. Portero, a town full of monsters and they can popped up anywhere, anytime. Seriously, monsters in a serial killer story? I don't feel monsters are belong in this book. Well, I feel this book is not that dark anymore with monsters in it.

I started to get irritated when the Turners brother appeared. Somehow I felt like there would be a romance story coming soon. And.... yes, I'm right! Uuuuggghhh!! Why romance??? The book was good until then. When Kit was falling for Gabriel, suddenly she started to do her things alone. She didn't want Fancy to get involved because Fancy thought their relationship wasn't a good idea. Kit was suddenly starting to get normal. She did't want to kill anymore. I tried to let that go and I thought well, at least Fancy was till in her own way. But then BAM! Fancy was falling for Ilan and started to get normal as well. The sun was shining and the darkness of this book was totally disappeared.

For me, it's better if Dia keeps it dark. At least the sisters are killing for good. They kill people who deserve to be killed. Eventhough it's dark but it's still have a little of good side in it : helping other people. I don't mean that every bad people are worth to kill, but I said that according to the story in this book. I'm quite disappointed with how the story grow. It feels like the main characters, Kit and Fancy, loose who they were and become a normal social person in a very short time just because they have boyfriend. It doesn't make any sense for me. My interest to this book decreased from chapter to chapter. I don't recommend for people who are looking for dark fantasy because it is only last for a very short time.


My rating : 2.5/5



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog.
If you like my posts or find them helpful, please click [g +1] button.
Let me know what you think by comment below :)