Thursday, January 12, 2012

Review : Heist Society (Heist Society #1) by Ally Carter




Title : Heist Society (Heist Society #1)
Author : Ally Carter
Published : 2010 by Hyperion Book CH
When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre…to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria…to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving “the life” for a normal life proves harder than she’d expected. 

Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring Kat back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has a good reason: a powerful mobster has been robbed of his priceless art collection and wants to retrieve it. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat’s dad needs her help. 

For Kat, there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it's a spectacularly impossible job? She's got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in her family's history--and, with any luck, steal her life back along the way. -goodreads


This book reminded me of Italian Job, a movie I like a lot. At first it was hard for me to catching up, but just a view pages later I was into it. I don't know maybe because I read too many books with first person perspective before I read Heist Society, it was strange to read a book from third person point of view. It was nothing much though, just needed a little adjustment.

Katerina Bishop, who's a daughter of great thief, was ready to "retired" from thieves world. She went to normal boarding school. She was just started her new normal life when her father accused stealing some priceless paintings. Kat has no other choice, she must find the paintings and gave them back to the owner. She got help from her teenage families to get the work done.

I like Kat's character. She's a smart and confident girl. What I like the most about this book is the setting. The places mentioned in the book are places I really want to visit. Just imagining that a girl could travelling that much in 2 weeks was so wow-ing me. For people who like to travel, *cough*me*cough*, I think they will find it fascinating.

The story plot is good. It's not so fast nor too slow, it was just perfect. The happenings each day were described well. The idea of telling the story by counting down the day was really nice. I don't know if there are any other books like that, but from what I read so far, there was none.

It also contains of very less romance story. Maybe there was something happened between Kat and Hale, but it was not what the story about. I can say that Ally Carter pile the story really well without putting romance in it, which is I totally like. Sometimes I just want a different story. A good story without a spice called romance in it and I think I have found it. The cover is attracting too. A picture of a girl peeking from behind the sunglasses gives a mysterious impression. It suits the story. Overall Heist Society is a smart and fun YA book to read.


My rating : 4/5


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog.
If you like my posts or find them helpful, please click [g +1] button.
Let me know what you think by comment below :)