Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Review : Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep





Title : Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1)
Author : Jennifer Estep
Published : August 1st 2011 by K-Teen
My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died... -goodreads
Mythology book. My first one.

I read this book without read the summary. From the "Academy" title, I expected it to be like Vampire Academy, which I really like. Apparently, this is a book about gods, goddesses and warriors.

Mythos Academy is a school for descendent of old time warriors : Spartans, Valkyries, Amazons, etc. Each of them has their own strength and magic. Gwen Frost is the only Gypsy. She knows other people's feeling and history by touching them or their things. Gwen feels her presence in Mythos Academy is a mistake. She doesn't believe anything about myth. One day she finds one of the Valkyrie murdered in the Library of Antiquities and someone stole Bowl of Tears, one of the 13th artifacts that a god named Loki used to bring the second Chaos War. Even when death is common in Mythos Academy, Gwen determines to find the murderer and the reason Jasmine was killed.

This book is a very easy reading. I found it more suitable for children around age 11-13. Even from the writing, I felt that this book is really for those age. Mythos Academy reminded me of Xena, The Warrior Princess, which I adored when I was about 10 years old. Maybe it was ruining the feeling, but Running Man "War of The Gods" and "Superpower" episodes also appeared in my mind which made me a little too LOL (sorry).

When I found out that this book was about myth, I expected more war and action scenes but I didn't get them. Well, maybe because it is the first book and the actual war between warriors will occur in the next books (hopefully). For the main character, Gwen, nothing is impress me of her so far. Honestly, I almost had no feeling when I read this book. No adrenalin, no curiosity, but it wasn't boring. If it was a boring one, I wouldn't finished it, but I did finish it. So I don't know... the story was okay but very lack of emotion. I call it a zombie-book. Just flat.



My ratings : 2.5/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog.
If you like my posts or find them helpful, please click [g +1] button.
Let me know what you think by comment below :)